Without doubt, the most beautiful images to come out of Athens in many months. The Total Lunar Eclipse of June 15th 2011, as captured by Elias Politis.
Strange Random Greece Quote:
- Athens Burning (socialpathology.blogspot.com)
- Athens struggles to win backing for austerity plan – Business – Mail & Guardian Online (yzerfonteinchronicles.blogspot.com)
- Our Big, Fat Greek Day – Athens, Greece (travelpod.com)
- Off-Beat Athens (sfgate.com)
- FDA channels English poet in effort to protect public health in global era (medcitynews.com)
I can see my house from here! Another great shot from the Astronomy Picture of the Day Website. And the debate is on as to what part of the Earth she is looking at …
Explanation: There’s no place like home. Peering out of the windows of the International Space Station (ISS), astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson takes in the planet on which we were all born, and to which she would soon return. About 350 kilometers up, the ISS is high enough so that the Earth’s horizon appears clearly curved. Astronaut Dyson’s windows show some of Earth’s complex clouds, in white, and life giving atmosphere and oceans, in blue. The space station orbits the Earth about once every 90 minutes. It is not difficult for people living below to look back toward the ISS. The ISS can frequently be seen as a bright point of light drifting overhead just after sunset. Telescopes can even resolve the overall structure of the space station. The above image was taken in late September from the ISS’s Cupola window bay. Dr. Dyson is a lead vocalist in the band Max Q.
Strange Random Space Quote:
The distance between the earth and her satellite is a mere trifle, and undeserving of serious consideration. I am convinced that before twenty years are over one-half of our earth will have paid a visit to the moon – Jules Verne, From Earth to the Moon, 1890.
- Emergency on the ISS: Astronaut Doug Wheelock Talks About His Experience (planetpookie.com)
- NASA caught photoshopping an image of Saturn’s moons. What were they trying to hide? [Space Porn] (io9.com)
- Astronauts View of Earth Eclipsed All Else (space.com)
- An Airplane in Front of the Moon (laughingsquid.com)
- Photo Gallery: Best Space Station Cupola Views (wired.com)
- Space Station Life Has its Ups and Downs, Astronaut Says (space.com)
- Astronauts Return To Earth After Six Months (news.sky.com)
- Five reasons why astronomy is cool (woodpigeon01.wordpress.com)
- WSU scientist proposes one-way trips to Mars (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
From the NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day Website:
APOD: 2010 April 1 – Evidence Mounts for Water on the Moon.
Strange Random Moon Quote:
When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger” – Chinese Proverb
Related articles by Zemanta
- Other Planets Are Beautiful Places (myventurepad.com)
- Android Phone Can Scour the Night Sky for UFOs (grantlawrence.blogspot.com)
- The scale of it all (scienceblogs.com)
- Europe’s Space Agency Wants To Do What NASA Can’t (science.slashdot.org)
- Astronomy for The Blind (medgadget.com)