Jubilee is one of the world’s oldest celebrations. Of course, in Leviticus it involved the reversion of all property to its divine Original Owner, which probably isn’t a custom Britons will wish to observe on the 60th anniversary of the reign of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. In place of ancient Hebrew land reform, there will be something more like Roman bread and circuses.
First, bread. If it doesn’t rain on Sunday, June 3—not a bet I’d like to take—neighborhoods across Britain will lay out long trestle tables with food and drink for the Big Lunch.
You can find your local feast at thebiglunch.com, though possibly not the menu. But I can tell you what the 10,000 guests at the royal concert at Buckingham Palace will be eating and drinking at their picnic the next day: Jubilee chicken, created by Heston Blumenthal and royal chef Mark Flanagan it will undoubtedly take its place in the foodie canon alongside Constance Spry and Rosemary Hume’s 60-year-old recipe for Coronation chicken, sauced with curry flavored mayonnaise, and Sandringham strawberry crumble crunch, with upscale supermarket chain Waitrose supplying the rest of the nosh. To drink: specially labeled fizz by royal-warrant-holding Moët & Chandon.
Now to the circuses. In a side ring on the Saturday, you have the elder Windsors attending the Epsom Derby. On the Sunday, you have the pageant, when the queen in her royal barge leads a thousand-boat flotilla to a point downriver of Tower Bridge. To quote the official site: “There will be an exuberance of historic boats, wooden launches, steam vessels and other boats of note.” And the London Philharmonic Orchestra will play appropriate music near Waterloo Bridge—if anyone can hear it.
In the main ring, though, is the concert given by some aged knights of British pop, like Elton John and Tom Jones, plus the odd-woman-out, American soprano Renée Fleming. At 10:30 p.m., the queen will light the “National Beacon” by dropping a diamond in a pot that ignites the flame of the torch in the Mall. This will be broadcast live on radio and TV—probably the wisest place to watch it, as London traffic is bound to be at a standstill.
Strange Random Royalty Quote:
“Royalty is a government in which the attention of the nation is concentrated on one person doing interesting actions.” – Walter Bagehot (British political Analyst, Economist and Editor, one of the most influential journalists of the mid-Victorian period, 1826-1877)
- Landmark BBC Documentary Series, Diamond Queen, Unveils an Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II’s Reign (prweb.com)
- Lego Queen Elizabeth II gets diamond crown for jubilee (cbsnews.com)
- You: Queen marks diamond jubilee riding wave of popularity (france24.com)
- Queen Elizabeth marks diamond jubilee on popular wave (rawstory.com)
- Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Attends a Reception for the Launch of ‘Queen Victoria’s Journals’ (VIDEOS) (royalcorrespondent.com)
- Queen Elizabeth II watches military parade outside Windsor Castle home marking Diamond Jubilee (foxnews.com)
- A Royal Party: Britain Celebrates 60 Years of Queen Elizabeth II (globalspin.blogs.time.com)
Australia’s ABC broadcaster has had to cancel its satirical royal wedding special after being told footage could not be used for “comedy purposes”. The programme, which was due to be aired on ABC2, featured the well-known comedy team The Chaser. Contractual restrictions bar comedy and entertainment programmes from using live footage of the ceremony. The comedians have now written to Buckingham Palace asking for what they call a “stay of execution“.
ABC – Australia‘s national broadcaster – said it was “surprised and disappointed” to be told that live footage from the royal wedding could not be used.
Strange Random Comedy Quote:
- BBC and Clarence House ban satirical takes on Royal Wedding (liberalconspiracy.org)
- What He Said: Morrissey Alleges that the Royal Family are Benefit Scroungers (adamshallah.wordpress.com)
- God save us from the future Queen #royalwedding (burbleburble.wordpress.com)
- Royal Wedding (jamesobrien.id.au)
- Royal wedding coverage: how O2 will cope with Will and Kate mania (o2.co.uk)
- Royal Wedding Dress Rehearsal: Cadets, Carriages and Calvary Stage Pre-Dawn Walk-Through (newsfeed.time.com)
If you’re one of those people who is anything but enthusiastic about the upcoming UK Royal Wedding in April, then someone has been thinking of you.
The artist Lydia Leith has created wedding sickness bags (like the ones you normally find on planes) for any suffering on or around the 29th of April this year.
At the top, there is the heading THRONE UP, a play on words between THRONE (trono) and THROWN (tirado, echado) and at the bottom, the advice “keep this handy on April 29th 2011″. Available in royal blue and red, the bags cost “just” 3 pounds each from lydialeith.com!
Strange Random Royalty Quote:
the King whose word no man relies on
He never said a foolish thing
nor ever did a wise one.
– Earl Rochester (British Courtier, Poet, 1647-1680)
- Royal Wedding Sick Bag (presurfer.blogspot.com)
- Royal Wedding Sick Bags (samirving.wordpress.com)
- Royal Wedding Tat Watch – The Sick Bag (pienbiscuits.wordpress.com)
- Pass the sick bag (punjapit.wordpress.com)
- Already sick of the Royal Wedding? There’s a barf bag for that! (gadling.com)
- Royal wedding sick bags making a splash (calgaryherald.com)
Who knows? Bill and Kate might come over for a quick cup of tea. If they do, could you ask them if they’ve sent our invitation yet? Thank you.
General Assistant (Coffee Room)
You will join the team responsible for arranging trays for tea and coffee, breakfast and other service requirements. You will ensure trays are set with the correct glass and porcelain and that drinks and food items are prepared and presented to the highest standards.
• have good organisation skills;
• work well within a team; and
• be able to communicate clearly with colleagues.
Previous experience of the catering or service industry would be an advantage, however, training will be provided to those with a flexible, motivated attitude and who strive to provide the highest standards of service.
Application Closing Date
27 Feb 2011
Strange Random Tea Quote:
– Uniek Swain
- Green gardener needed for Buckingham Palace (telegraph.co.uk)
- Video: Royal Wedding Invitations Mailed, Details About Guest List Emerge (shoppingblog.com)
- The Royal Family, freedom of information and the rest of the story (libdemvoice.org)
- Honours List: Royal Victorian Order (independent.co.uk)
- Single-serve Starbucks coffee may be coming to a hotel room near you … soon (gadling.com)
- Queen Elizabeth sends out invites for royal wedding (thestar.com)