The souvenirs on offer in Barcelona’s gift shops range from tasteful reminders of local artists and architects such as Picasso, Gaudí or Miró to tacky, wide-brimmed Mexican sombreros and posters of footballers such as Lionel Messi.
The badges depict local scenes that are familiar to both city residents and visitors. They show bag-snatchers, prostitutes, street alcohol vendors and, in a reference to the brutality with which recent demonstrations have been treated, the local riot police.
Compare and contrast with this item from the City Council website and news feed – City Council launches proceedings against the Museu d’Història’s bookshop for selling badges that promote anti-social behaviour – how shocking!
Strange Random Prohibition Quote:
Why don’t they pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting anybody from learning anything? If it works as well as prohibition did, in five years Americans would be the smartest race of people on Earth. – Will Rogers
- Barcelona’s whistleblower (exitlanguages.wordpress.com)
- Muxu of Barcelona Launch City Cycle Wear Collection (prweb.com)
- Uncomfortable overnight train – Barcelona, Spain (travelpod.com)
- World Trade Center Spotlight: Barcelona, Spain (worldtradedaily.com)
A lone woman armed with a whistle and enormous courage has set herself the task of defending unsuspecting tourists from the pickpockets who plague Barcelona. Eliana Guerrero became so incensed by the way groups of thieves were able to freely roam the city’s underground network that she now patrols the metro on her own. She gives loud blasts on her whistle whenever she sees the thieves, who operate mostly in a dozen city centre stations including the Sagrada Familia and Placa Catalunya, and hands out flyers warning about the criminals.
Strange Random Whistle Quote:
- Where to backpack with 2 weeks to get from Barcelona to Istanbul? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Whistleblowers now have The Whistleblower’s Handbook, from the National Whistleblowers Center (allthingsreform.org)
- Our full day in Barcelona – Barcelona, Spain (travelpod.com)
- Bye Bye Barcelona – French Riviera – Cote d’Azur, France (travelpod.com)
- Barcelona – Barcelona, Spain (travelpod.com)
- “Social unrest in Plaça Catalunya (Barcelona) today” and related posts (tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com)
- From Bordeaux to Barcelona – Barcelona, Spain (travelpod.com)
- Sagrada Familia and how to avoid going to hell! – Barcelona, Spain (travelpod.com)
This advertisement has been on several very large banners around the Diagonal Mar Shopping Centre here in Barcelona for the past few weeks. It offers people the chance to take part in a competition and win modelling prizes. Which is great, despite the fact that yours truly will not be taking part for humanitarian reasons.
Unfortunately, the people that wrote the copy may wish they had consulted their dictionaries first of all.
Whereas a SHOOTING is:
Noun 1. shooting – the act of firing a projectile; “his shooting was slow but accurate”
2. shooting – killing someone by gunfire; “when the shooting stopped there were three dead bodies”
the word they were probably looking for is SHOOT, which is defined, among other things, as:
6. A session in which something is photographed, filmed, or videotaped
So if someone approaches you in a shopping centre for a shooting opportunity, just decline politely!
- Investors’ appetite for shopping centres grows (independent.co.uk)
- Store giants battle to be best online mall (news.theage.com.au)
Tickets and 41º: the Adrià brothers’ Barcelona tapas and cocktail bars – video | Life and style | guardian.co.uk
Ferran and Albert Adrià, the culinary masters of El Bulli, ‘perform’ the superstar restaurant’s cocktails at Tickets paired with a greatest hits collection of food: parmesan ice cream, Iberian ham ‘airbag-uette’, mango leaves with marigold, yoghurt pistachulines and steamed brioche with mozzarella.
Strange Random Food Quote:
Shipping is a terrible thing to do to vegetables. They probably get jet-lagged, just like people. – Elizabeth Berry
- After El Bulli, a Sweet Taste of Life (travel.nytimes.com)
- Hyper-Tapas Bar by Ferrran Adria (carpediemclub.wordpress.com)
- What next for El Bulli? (telegraph.co.uk)
- Bites : Restaurant Review: Barcelona 41° (travel.nytimes.com)
- T Magazine: Fête Accompli | The Last Days of El Bulli (tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com)
- El Bulli to get the Hollywood treatment (telegraph.co.uk)
The Prize is an initiative of the European Commission organised by the Fundació Mies van der Rohe. The principal objectives are to recognise and commend excellence in the field of architecture and to draw attention to the important contribution of European professionals in the development of new concepts and technologies. The Prize also sets out to promote the profession by encouraging architects working throughout the entire European Union and by supporting young architects as they set off on their careers. [...] The Prize consists of 60.000 € and the Special Mention consists of 20.000 € with both receiving a sculpture that evokes the Mies van der Rohe Pavilion of Barcelona – the symbol for this Prize: excellence and innovation in conceptual and constructive terms.
The Neues Museum on Berlin’s Museum Island was designed by Friedrich August Stüler and built between 1841 and 1859. Extensive bombing during the Second World War left the building in ruins, with entire sections missing completely and others severely damaged. Few attempts at repair were made after the war, and the structure was left exposed to nature. In 1997, David Chipperfield Architects – with Julian Harrap – won the international competition for the rebuilding of the Neues Museum.
Strange Random Architecture Quote:
Architecture begins when you place two bricks carefully together. – Mies van der Rohe
- Berlin – from Isherwood to Sanssouci … (patricksistanbul.wordpress.com)
- Pastry Cheffage: Mies van der Rohe’s Birthday Feted With Barcelona Couch Cake (curbed.com)
- Mies van der Rohe Awards: Here are the six finalists for… (curbed.com)
- Toys ‘n’ Games: Mies van der Rohe’s Famed Farnsworth House Now in Lego Version (curbed.com)
- Happy (belated) birthday designer Mies van der Rohe (lostateminor.com)
- Architecture Documentaries You Must Watch: Today Design Crave offers a terrific… (curbed.com)