New faces on Sgt Pepper album cover for artist Peter Blake’s 80th birthday | Art and design | The Guardian
British pop artist Sir Peter Blake has taken inspiration from his most famous artwork – the Beatles’ Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club album cover – to celebrate the British cultural figures he most admires as he marks his 80th birthday.
Blake, often called the godfather of the British pop art scene, said: “I’ve chosen people I admire, great people and some who are dear friends.”I had a very long list of people who I wanted to go in but couldn’t fit everyone in – I think that shows how strong British culture and its legacy of the last six decades is.”
Singer Noel Gallagher, formerly of Oasis, was “chuffed” to be included. “To be on there with the likes of Vivienne Westwood, Mick Jagger and Paul Weller, just those three people alone, is amazing for me as I wouldn’t put myself up with any of those,” he said.
Rowling said: “Given that I’ve devoted quite a lot of time to gazing at the original Sgt Pepper album cover, you can perhaps imagine what it means to me to be featured.”
More about the original album and cover:
Strange Random Sergeant Pepper’s Quote:
It’s wonderful to be here.
It’s certainly a thrill.
You’re such a lovely audience,
we’d like to take you home with us.
We’d love to take you home.
- Godfather of pop art recreates Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album cover with his own Brit cultural icons (mirror.co.uk)
- Birthday makeover for Sgt Pepper cover (yorkshirepost.co.uk)
- Famous vinyl album covers (telegraph.co.uk)
- 10 Best Album Covers Of All Time (mademan.com)
- 5 Best Album Covers Of All Time (mademan.com)
- Carly Simon Album Covers blog looks at Greatest Hits Live (troubadourtribune.wordpress.com)
- Weird Human Figures Assembled From Album Cover Art (huffingtonpost.com)
- Album Covers (imogengeoghegan.wordpress.com)
You can see a lot more examples on the Flickr group – http://www.flickr.com/groups/lego_album_covers/pool/ – but for the moment here are some of our favourites. And yes, before you ask, we are old enough to have owned the original vinyl …
Strange Random Rock ‘n’ Roll Quote:
- Academy Awards Best Picture Nominees in LEGO (techeblog.com)
- Andy Pescovitz’s custom videogame LEGO Minifigs (boingboing.net)
- Lego album covers quiz (telegraph.co.uk)
- Lego sliding block “15” puzzle (makezine.com)
- Lego ghost trap replica (makezine.com)
- Logan’s Run depicted as a giant LEGO diorama [Lego] (io9.com)