Australia’s ABC broadcaster has had to cancel its satirical royal wedding special after being told footage could not be used for “comedy purposes”. The programme, which was due to be aired on ABC2, featured the well-known comedy team The Chaser. Contractual restrictions bar comedy and entertainment programmes from using live footage of the ceremony. The comedians have now written to Buckingham Palace asking for what they call a “stay of execution“.
ABC – Australia‘s national broadcaster – said it was “surprised and disappointed” to be told that live footage from the royal wedding could not be used.
Strange Random Comedy Quote:
- BBC and Clarence House ban satirical takes on Royal Wedding (liberalconspiracy.org)
- What He Said: Morrissey Alleges that the Royal Family are Benefit Scroungers (adamshallah.wordpress.com)
- God save us from the future Queen #royalwedding (burbleburble.wordpress.com)
- Royal Wedding (jamesobrien.id.au)
- Royal wedding coverage: how O2 will cope with Will and Kate mania (o2.co.uk)
- Royal Wedding Dress Rehearsal: Cadets, Carriages and Calvary Stage Pre-Dawn Walk-Through (newsfeed.time.com)