Facebook’s Fight Against the Ad Critics | Fox Business
Facebook (FB) is gearing up for a battle against critics who say its ad platform is hardly as effective as it should be.
Days after chastising Facebook’s naysayers, digital analytics company comScore revealed on Tuesday a detailed report that shows Mark Zuckerberg’s sharing empire helps influence buying behavior much more than people think.
With Facebook, which is a client of comScore, marketers and brands that push out promotions or viral ads on fans, who then share the content with their friends, can generate real returns on investment, comScore [SCOR: 17.00, +0.06, +0.35%] said.
Some media agencies and brands have publicly said Facebook’s strategy isn’t working and others have demanded proof of their return on investment. General Motors [GM: 21.80, -0.07, -0.32%] last month said it would pull its ads worth $10 million from the social network.
But now, Facebook, which came out of a required quiet period on Tuesday, is finally able to start defending itself.
In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Facebook’s head of measurement and insight, Brad Smallwood, said it’s a myth Facebook advertising doesn’t work. He acknowledged advertiser concerns and said the company is in the “early days of helping advertisers” on their journey of feeling out how to score the highest ROI from Facebook.
ComScore last week promised to “shed new light on how Facebook marketing really works” and warned the social networks’ biggest critics to stop bashing the effectiveness of Facebook marketing.
Strange Random Advertising Quote:
“I have always believed that writing advertisements is the second most profitable form of writing. The first, of course, is ransom notes…” – Philip Dusenberry
- SOCIAL MEDIA, what we think about! – Facebook and comScore: “This is how to do social marketing” (venturebeat.com)
- Facebook Tries to Prove Ads Work (mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Facebook: See? We told you social advertising works (gigaom.com)
- Actually, Facebook ads work great, says comScore (digitaltrends.com)
- Facebook ads influence consumer behaviour, comScore report says (business.financialpost.com)
- Facebook Ads Working Says ComScore (rant4u.com)
- Facebook defends itself, touts report showing ads on site work (mercurynews.com)
- You’re All Wrong: Facebook’s Ads DO Work, Says comScore In A New Report (FB) (businessinsider.com)
- ComScore & Facebook Quantify Social Marketing ROI: Facebook Ads Work (webpronews.com)
- ComScore: Facebook Advertising Works & They Will Publish The Paper To Prove It (thedomains.com)