Though we may not have fully come to terms with it, in theory we know that high-fructose corn syrup HFCS is an adversary of health. Lots of work has been done looking at the effect of fructose on weight, liver function, diabetes risk, and even the growth of cancer cells. But not much has looked at the role of fructose in brain function, until now. Researchers have just reported that among the list of bodily ills that fructose contributes to, it may also “make you dumb.” Luckily, eating a diet rich in the healthy omega-3 fatty acids seems to counteract this phenomenon.
In the new study, UCLA researchers had rats spend a few days learning to navigate a maze. Then some of the rats ate diets rich in omega-3 fatty acids or deficient in them; some rats also drank a fructose solution in the place of their regular drinking water. After six weeks on their respective diets, the team put the rats back in the maze to see how well they recalled it.
The rats who had eaten omega-3-deficient diets were slower at completing the maze than the ones who ate diets rich in omega-3s. Those who drank the fructose solution instead of water were the worst-off of all when it came to their cognitive capabilities.
Strange Random Sugar Quote:
“If you are bitter at heart, sugar in the mouth will not help you” – Yiddish Proverb
- Sugar may make you “stupid” but omega-3 might mitigate the effect, rat study … – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- Study Says Sugar May Make You Dumber – CBS 11 (dfw.cbslocal.com)
- Become Fat, Sick, and Stupid (lewrockwell.com)
- Sugar Can Affect The Brain (socyberty.com)
- Does Eating Corn Syrup Kill Your Memory? (motherjones.com)
- Study: Corn Syrup Is Hurting Your Brain (blisstree.com)
- Sugar Makes You Stupid says New Study (lezgetreal.com)
- Very Sugary Diet Makes You Stupid (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Sugar may make you stupid: Study (lfpress.com)