Fashion, fitness and flying a new flag: Stella McCartney reveals her streamlined Team GB kit – Sport Relief – Sport – The Independent
Stella McCartney is no stranger to sportswear – although in fashion terms, that usually refers to anything not a suit or a ballgown. This season, she even created slinky cocktail dresses with Aertex panels.
And after eight years creating a hit “performance” range for adidas too, it’s small wonder she was chosen to be the first fashion designer to create a Summer Olympic Games kit, which was finally unveiled yesterday at a launch event at the Tower of London, starring some of Team GB‘s biggest names.
McCartney’s acclaimed womenswear label, which celebrated its 10th anniversary last year, has at its heart an ethos of comfort and ease, with even the most elegant and refined pieces made practical with sporty elements.
So the designs for the nation’s Olympians are not entirely new territory for the 40-year-old designer.
“This is not about me,” says Stella McCartney backstage yesterday.
“This is about the athletes and Team GB. I didn’t want to put a big fashion statement on it.”
And beyond the podium suits – which feature cinched, belted waists and layered, voluminous jackets – there is little fashion to it.
Rather, collarless zip-ups and streamlined shapes recall classic, even nostalgic, sportswear, while mellow and tonal blues look fresh, modern and dynamic. What McCartney has done is create Brand GB, by deconstructing the Union Jack and adding it, in abstract chunks, to the front of vests and shirts. Love it or hate it, it’s a clever technique: a recurring and conspicuous motif as conspicuous as any designer logo.
Strange Random Flag Quote:
“Hats off! Along the street there comes
A blare of bugles, a ruffle of drums,
A flash of color beneath the sky:
Hats off! The flag is passing by.”
- Official Team GB Olympic Kit by Stella McCartney (slamxhype.com)
- Team GB kit verdict: Where’s the red? Who cares so long as we win gold! – Daily Mail (dailymail.co.uk)
- adidas Team GB Olympic Kit – Stella McCartney (selectism.com)
- TeamGB Olympic kits, designed by Stella McCartney, revealed (independent.co.uk)
- Team GB unveils Stella McCartney-designed Olympic kit – with blue Union Jack (menmedia.co.uk)
- London 2012 Olympics: Understated and cool but can Stella’s Team GB kit pass the canteen test? (telegraph.co.uk)
- Team GB’s Official Olympic Kit Revealed (techfleece.com)
- Stella McCartney Reveals Uniforms For the British Olympic Team (fashionologie.com)