Island in recovery after Up Helly Aa celebrations | Aberdeen and North | STV News
Thousands took part in the raucous festivities which ended in a fiery climax with the burning of a Viking longship on Tuesday night.
Europe‘s biggest fire festival has been hailed as a success after nearly 1000 costumed “guizers” carried flaming torches which would set the 30ft Viking galley alight.
Don’t miss the video report on the same page! Meanwhile, here are some pictures of this stunning event.
Strange Random Viking Quote:
Go you must.
No guest shall stay
in one place for ever.
Love will be lost
if you sit too long
at a friend’s fire.
– The Havamal or Book of Viking Wisdom
- The Wiccan Book of Day for Jan. 30th – Up-Helly-Aa (witchesofthecraft.com)
- Vikings celebrate Norse heritage in Europe’s biggest fire festival (telegraph.co.uk)
- Photos: Shetland Islanders celebrate Viking legacy (vancouversun.com)
- VIDEO: Shetland celebrates Viking heritage (bbc.co.uk)
- Best pictures from the past 24 hours (theglobeandmail.com)
- Welcome to the Shetlands: Up Helly Aa (flyfarandfast.com)