Legal thriller looms as Sherlock takes his caseload to New York – News – TV & Radio – The Independent
It’s a fresh take on Sherlock Holmes which will transplant the sleuth to a modern-day setting. But it doesn’t take Baker Street’s finest to deduce the source material for a major new drama announced by American network CBS.
The producers of the BBC’s acclaimed Sherlock series, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, are prepared to take legal action against the US network over a rival Holmes series which appears to tread on familiar ground.
The BBC version is already a cult hit in America, where it is screened on the PBS network. The show’s contemporary reinvention of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories, allied to slick production values, impressed network executives at CBS – so when an offer to remake the BBC’s Sherlock for US viewers came to nothing, they decided to go ahead and make their own.
In a move which has caused concern at Hartswood Films, the BBC show’s producers, CBS has commissioned Elementary, described as a new Sherlock Holmes adaptation set in modern-day New York.
Sue Vertue, Sherlock Executive Producer at Hartswood Films, said: “We understand that CBS are doing their own version of an updated Sherlock Holmes. It’s interesting, as they approached us a while back about remaking our show. At the time, they made great assurances about their integrity, so we have to assume that their modernised Sherlock Holmes doesn’t resemble ours in any way, as that would be extremely worrying.” She added: “We are very proud of our show and like any proud parent, will protect the interest and wellbeing of our offspring.”
Strange Random Sherlock Holmes Quote:
I never make exceptions. An exception disproves the rule. – The Sign of the Four (1890)
- What Sherlock Holmes Can Teach Us About the Power of Mindful Decisions [Sherlock Holmes] (io9.com)
- ‘Sherlock’ executive Sue Vertue ‘extremely worried’ by ‘Elementary’ (digitalspy.co.uk)
- CBS Investigates New Sherlock Holmes TV Show (escapistmagazine.com)
- Comparing The Modern Sherlock Adaptations (eoghann.com)
- Sherlock, The Reichenbach Fall: BBC One, preview (telegraph.co.uk)
- Must See TV: Sherlock (justcountingtime.wordpress.com)
- Sherlock: the 20 greatest Sherlock Holmes (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadow’s Vs Sherlock Series 2! (thebizarreworldofasupermarketgraduate.wordpress.com)
- CBS Orders Modern ‘Sherlock Holmes’ Pilot (In Spite of BBC’s ‘Sherlock’) (screenrant.com)