Google, Canadian companies join Wikipedia protest – Business – CBC News
Google has blacked out the logo on its home page as it joins Wikipedia and other sites in Canada and around the world to protest legislation pending in the U.S. Congress that’s aimed at shutting down sites that share pirated movies and other content.
In a statement, Canadian pro-internet organization OpenMedia.ca, a non-profit organization that promotes an open and affordable internet, said it was joining the protest alongside domain registrars Tucows and Identi.
Toronto-based Tucows, best known for its software downloading service, will shut down access to its site for 12 hours. Wikipedia’s English-language site shut down at midnight ET Tuesday.
The 24-hour Wikipedia blackout is an unprecedented move for the online encyclopedia. However, it’s not a total blackout: the block can be bypassed by changing browser settings or by using the version of the site designed for cellphone screens.
“Our purpose here isn’t to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it’s okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message,” Wikipedia said in a statement.
Instead of encyclopedia articles, visitors to the site saw a stark black-and-white page with the message: “Imagine a world without free knowledge.” It carried a link to information about the two congressional bills and details about how to reach lawmakers.
It is the first time the English site has been blacked out. Wikipedia’s Italian site came down once briefly to protest an internet censorship bill put forward by the Berlusconi government. The bill did not advance.
Strange Random Internet Quote:
The Net treats censorship as a defect and routes around it. – John Gilmore, 1993
- Wikipedia to go dark tonight protesting anti-piracy act (talesfromthelou.wordpress.com)
- SOPA blackouts: Wikipedia, Google and Reddit join protest (calgaryherald.com)
- Wikipedia plans to go dark in protest of legislation (ctv.ca)
- Wikipedia Blackout: Websites Wikipedia, Reddit, Others Go Dark Wednesday to Protest SOPA, PIPA (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Mojang and others join reddit for Jan. 18 blackout, Wikipedia indecisive (digitaltrends.com)
- Wikipedia in protest blackout (thesun.co.uk)
- SOPA BLACKOUT | Google and Wikipedia Go Dark (oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com)
- Wikipedia Editors Question Site’s Planned Blackout (abcnews.go.com)