Apple brings iTunes Match to Canada | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
As of late Thursday evening, those Canadians willing to pay $27.99 per year can upload their entire music library to iCloud, the streaming media service Apple first unveiled in June and launched in October. While iCloud has been free for Canadians to use as a sort of “digital locker,” the extra fee is for access to a service called “iTunes Match.”
It does its work as soon as the uploading process is complete. That is when iTunes will begin to ‘match’ your track list with the more than 20 million songs in its own database, regardless of their origin, making them available on all your iCloud-connected devices at a very high 256 kilobytes per second Kbs quality even if the original files were at a lower rate.
Songs purchased via iTunes are given some preferential treatment, however, as the service will only ‘match’ up to 25,000 titles that were either ripped from physical discs remember CDs?, downloaded illegally or purchased from a rival online music store. While 25,000 is likely high enough for even the most obsessive music buffs, iTunes songs do not count against that limit.
Strange Random Piracy Quote:
“In an honest service there is thin commons, low wages, and hard labor; in this, plenty and satiety, pleasure and ease, liberty and power; and who would not balance creditor on this side, when all the hazard that is run for it, at worst, is only a sour look or two at choking. No, a merry life and a short one, shall be my motto.” – Bartholomew “Black Bart” Roberts
(Translation: “In honest work, the food is bad, the wages are low and the work is hard. In piracy, there is plenty of loot, it’s fun and easy and we are free and powerful. Who, when presented with this choice, would not choose piracy? The worst that can happen is you can be hanged. No, a merry life and a short one shall be my motto.”)
- Apple brings iTunes Match to Canada (business.financialpost.com)
- iTunes Match Goes Live Internationally (mashable.com)
- Apple releases iTunes 10.5.2, improving iTunes Match, fixes CD-import audio distortion (thenextweb.com)
- iTunes Match goes live internationally (slashgear.com)
- iTunes 10.5.2 addresses iTunes Match problems (macworld.com)
- News: Apple releases iTunes 10.5.2 with iTunes Match, distortion fixes (ilounge.com)
- A week with iTunes Match, and five songs later… (timesunion.com)
- Apple Launches iTunes Match (geeky-gadgets.com)
- iTunes Music Match now live in Australia (mathewpacker.com)