Smule snags Songify app creator – USATODAY.com
Ge Wang wants everyone to play music, even if they don’t know how.
With top virtual instrument app hits like Magic Piano, Ocarina and Leaf Trombone, Wang’s Smule has sold nearly 20 million app downloads, and attracted top investment. Shasta Ventures recently raised $12 million for a second round of financing, closing in October.
“Our goal is to really grow and keep pace but stay in front of the emerging music making business,” says Wang, Smule’s co-founder.
While Smule’s expertise is with virtual instruments like the piano, trombone, flute and violin, Kh.ush is adapting speech to music. The Songify app lets you recite spoken words into the iPhone, and then turns it into a song.
Strange Random Technology Quote:
“Technology has the shelf life of a banana.” – Scott McNealy
- Smule buys fellow music app creator Khush (sfgate.com)
- Smule buys fellow music app creator Khush (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- The Machine That Makes You Musical (nytimes.com)
- Smule’s MadPad makes music out of anything (macworld.com)
- Smule’s MadPad Turns Your Life Into A Video Soundboard (techcrunch.com)
- Making music with the Smule MadPad app is addictive (cbsnews.com)