Parking charges in Capital cause church and commerce to unite – Telegraph
Churches, businesses and residents of Westminster have joined forces to protest at new evening and Sunday parking charges that many fear could undermine the West End‘s vibrant entertainment and retail sectors.
Westminster Council plans to scrap free parking on single yellow lines during evenings and introduce charging across the borough on Sunday afternoons from January 9.
It said the measure is to tackle traffic congestion but campaigners believe Westminster, which sets one of the lowest council taxes in the country, is trying to tackle the sweeping budget cuts facing all councils.
Many other councils are raising the cost of resident parking permits and tickets by as much as 400pc.
Strange Random Parking Quote:
- Mayor slams West End parking plan (bbc.co.uk)
- Telegraph’s Matt points the way (telegraph.co.uk)
- Motorbikers protest at parking tax (confused.com)
- Drop your parking changes before it’s too late, Boris tells Westminster (thisislondon.co.uk)
- Bikers take on parking fee in court (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- Council clashes with churches over Sunday parking charges (telegraph.co.uk)