BBC News – Mallory and Irvine: Should we solve Everest’s mystery?
As a tale of doomed, romantic endeavour, it has endured for decades.
It is also Everest’s most persistent mystery – did George Mallory and Andrew “Sandy” Irvine make it to the top in 1924, almost 30 years before it was officially conquered?
The pair, equipped with primitive climbing gear, were last sighted a few hundred metres away from the summit before bad weather closed in around them.
And historians have long argued whether or not they made it to the peak before succumbing to the freezing conditions.
A forthcoming expedition to Everest aiming to establish what exactly happened is just the latest in a series of attempts to solve the puzzle. But despite the continued speculation, many of those with a stake in the mystery hope it will never be resolved, fearing the prosaic truth could never match the legend.
Strange Random Everest Quote:
- Doug Liman climbs aboard EVEREST for Sony (geektyrant.com)
- How did george mallory explain the lure of Mount Everst (wiki.answers.com)
- The Wildest Dream – BBC2, 9pm (not N Ireland or Wales) (mirror.co.uk)
- Doug Liman to Direct EVEREST; Sheldon Turner to Write the Screenplay (collider.com)
- Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest by Wade Davis – review (guardian.co.uk)