Hip-Hop’s Cash Kings On Canvas – Forbes
“You take a mouth off someone, you’ll be surprised how they look,” says artist Jason “Borbay” Borbet, considering the painting in front of him. “It’s a very different person.”
The mouth in question belongs to Hillary Clinton. Her image rests upside-down in the middle of a colorful collage that Borbay has painted to depict another Empire State power broker: Jay-Z. The rest of the canvas is covered with headlines pulled from The New York Post, along with a few images—Clinton, Beyoncé and a presidential seal—upon all of which a rendering of the rapper is superimposed.
“Jay-Z’s got this big personality, but he’s so low key. It’s almost like he’s always sitting,” says Borbay, lowering himself into an explanatory crouch, “and about to stand up.”
The Jay-Z portrait is one of seven 30-by-30-inch acrylic collage paintings completed by Borbay this year to depict rap’s most influential artists. His criteria: each subject had to release an album within one year of January 2011, be active in social media, and possess “a strong entrepreneurial vision.” Collectively titled Kings of Hip-Hop, the exhibition will make its official debut tomorrow evening at Publicis Modem in New York.
Strange Random Hip-Hop Quote:
- And The Top Earning Hip-Hop Artists Are… (perezhilton.com)
- NEWS: Forbes List Of HipHop’s Top Earning Artists (diggwhat.com)
- Hip Hops Big 3….Named Forbes’ Cash Kings / iqwespeaks (iqwespeaks.wordpress.com)
- Forbes Hip Hop Cash Kings 2011 List (997now.radio.com)
- Jay-Z Tops Forbes Magazine’s Hip-Hop Cash Kings List Again (theboombox.com)
- Jigga What? Once Again Jay-Z Gets Top Billing As Forbes Hip-Hop Ca$h King!!! (dabxblogger.com)
- Forbes Cash Kings 2011: Hip-Hop’s Top 20 Earners (space-beach.com)