Grand Rapids Lip Dub
“The Grand Rapids LipDub Video was filmed May 22nd, with 5,000 people, and involved a major shutdown of downtown Grand Rapids, which was filled with marching bands, parades, weddings, motorcades, bridges on fire, and helicopter take offs. It is the largest and longest LipDub video, to date.
This video was created as an official response to the Newsweek article calling Grand Rapids a “dying city.” We disagreed strongly, and wanted to create a video that encompasses the passion and energy we all feel is growing exponentially, in this great city. We felt Don McLean‘s “American Pie,” a song about death, was in the end, triumphant and filled to the brim with life and hope.” – Rob Bliss, Director & Executive Producer
*Note: The “NEW WORLD RECORD” designation refers to size and scope, not duration. Storyboards and concept art by Greg Oberle.
Strange Random American Pie Quote:
“American Pie speaks to the loss that we feel. That’s why that song has found the niche that it has.” – Don McLean
- The Grand Rapids LipDub (the1955hudson.com)
- City Proves Its Mettle With 5,000-Person Lip Dub [VIDEO] (mashable.com)
- The Grand Rapids Lip Dub: A Giant Street Party Set To Music (npr.org)
- The Grand Rapids LipDub (ritholtz.com)
- Grand Rapids Shows Civic Pride With World’s Largest Lip Dub Video (laughingsquid.com)
- The Grand Rapids LipDub (neatorama.com)
- Amazing ‘American Pie’ Viral Video Proves Grand Rapids Is Very Much Alive (wcbsfm.radio.com)