TOMMY NUTTER | The original maverick tailor.
London‘s Fashion and Textile Museum presents from this Friday 20th an exhibition of suits and designs by Tommy Nutter, regarded as the man who opened up the exclusive tailors‘ area of Savile Row to everybody (who could afford it, of course) and let loose a wave of creativity that would change the face of bespoke tailoring forever. More information about the exhibition can be found at the Fashion and Textile Museum website. Also worth looking at is the Nutters of Savile Row website, from which the following bio comes:
Nutters of Savile Row was established in 1969 by the late, great, Tommy Nutter, the original maverick tailor. Glamorous. Charismatic. Discreet. Eccentric. A man of wit and humour. A lover of life. He was London’s sartorial enfant terrible, a tailoring rebel who introduced rakish silhouettes and jaunty cocktail-lounge styles to the bespoke classes and the emerging classless celebrities of the Sixties. Until his untimely death in 1992, he dressed everyone, from the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, to Sir Hardy Amies and Lord and Lady Harlech, from Elton John, Eric Clapton, Michael Jackson and Diana Ross to the Duke of Bedford and Sir Roy Strong. Posh people and rock people, just the way it should be.
Strange Random Tailor Quote:
“The only man who behaved sensibly was my tailor; he took my measurement anew every time he saw me, while all the rest went on with their old measurements and expected them to fit me.” – George Bernard Shaw (Irish literary Critic, Playwright and Essayist. 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1856-1950)
- Morning suit v lounge suit (bbc.co.uk)
- Bespoke London Tailor Gets With The Times (businessinsider.com)
- Savile Row rents now twice the price of a good suit (telegraph.co.uk)
- Savile Row – Golden mile of tailoring (matjazz.wordpress.com)
- Huntsman and the Changing Face of Savile Row (businessinsider.com)
- Not many Japanese get to work on a genuine sebiro (search.japantimes.co.jp)
- Eyman: Savile Road book tailor-made for style (pbpulse.com)