The action-packed shot, taken by amateur photographer Partha Pratim Saha in West Bengal, was praised for its “dynamism” by the judges of the inaugural Momentum prize.
Bull racing, known locally as Moichhara, is popular in rural Bengal, and takes place in muddy paddy fields before sowing begins in the monsoon. A pair of bulls are ridden by a single jockey in the high-stakes pastime.
The runner-up in the competition, launched by Channel 4 and Blipfoto at the BT Paralympic World Cup, went to a photograph of a ‘swamp soccer’ match by Damian Glowacki. Third place was awarded to a picture of a girls rugby match taken in New Zealand by Caroline Foster.
Strange Random Photography Quote:
Actually, I’m not all that interested in the subject of photography. Once the picture is in the box, I’m not all that interested in what happens next. Hunters, after all, aren’t cooks. – Henri Cartier-Bresson
- PhotographyTalk.com Creates “Hot Buzz” Among Photography Enthusiasts with Almost $8,000 in Prizes During Spring Double Give-A-Way Contests (prweb.com)
- New York Institute of Photography Announces Holiday Photography Course Giveaway (prweb.com)
- Andrew Kornylak: Reality Show (nikonusa.com)
- Tips for Shooting Sports (nikonusa.com)
- Gauri Gill wins 2011 Grange Prize (arts.nationalpost.com)
- Taylor Wessing portrait prize: another animal, another girl with red hair (guardian.co.uk)
- Ways of Looking – Bradford Photography Festival (oxfordschoolofphotography.wordpress.com)
- A weekend full of photography tutorials and links (oxfordschoolofphotography.wordpress.com)
- Preview: Check Out All That Is Going On At Paris Photo This Year (bwgallerist.com)
- Travel Photographer of the Year – International Travel Photography Awards (sonnyplace.wordpress.com)
- Bubble Photography WIN (wins.failblog.org)
- How Conservation Photography Is A Political Act (treehugger.com)
- 14 Ways to Improve Your Photography (oxfordschoolofphotography.wordpress.com)
The fourth annual World Naked Bike Ride rolled through Halifax and other Canadian cities on Saturday. Some people in downtown Halifax may have been startled to see about 100 naked bicycle riders on parade over the weekend. The global ride was intended to promote bicycling as an alternative to cars and other oil-dependent modes of travel, and to remind motorists to drive safely around bicycles.
For some of the cyclists, the day was also a personal triumph. “It was just like, 15 minutes before that I decided to do it,” said Laura Burke, a first-time naked rider.
- 2011 World Naked Bike Ride Toronto (alainsojourner.com)
- Toronto celebrates 2011 World Naked Bike Ride (alainsojourner.com)
- British naturism and the UK, the World Naked Bike Ride Day in Brighton and the Midsummer Skinny Dip (calogeromiratraveland.wordpress.com)
- Ottawa Naked (More like topless) Bike Ride (blurasis.wordpress.com)
- Fighting A Naked Guy: Two Cyclists Assaulted, Subjected To Anti-Gay Slurs (laist.com)
- Grab a Seat and Enjoy the View: Hopefully your in-laws are in town… (sf.curbed.com)
- Naked Cycling (asouthernbell.wordpress.com)
A completely unbiased list of 5 things that the Real Madrid manager may find some consolation in, following a cold, wet bath on the football field last night.
2. Favourite Building: The Pentagon
3. Favourite Musical: Five Guys Named Moe (or Mou)
4. Favourite Perfume: Chanel number 5
5. Favourite Group: The Jackson 5
Strange Random Football Quote:
“If two hitherto rival football teams, under the influence of brotherly love, decided to co-operate in placing the football first beyond one goal and then beyond the other, no one’s happiness would be increased” – Bertrand Russell (English Logician and Philosopher 1872-1970)
- Referee Watch: Eduardo Iturralde Gonzalez In The Clasico Between Barcelona And Real Madrid (Goal.com) (bogartkick.com)
- Barcelona vs. Real Madrid: 8 Important Battles Including Ronaldo vs. Alves (bleacherreport.com)
- Barcelona nets five in ‘El Clasico’ vs Real madrid (3news.co.nz)
- El Clasico: Barca 5 – Real Madrid 0 (apriljourneys.mychronicles.net)
Strange Random Soccer Quote:
Some people believe football is a matter of life and death…it is much, much more important than that. – Bill Shankley
Related articles by Zemanta
- South Africa talk follow-up (edinburghanarchists.noflag.org.uk)
- Sophisticated Mathematical Model Predicts Spain Will Win World Cup Final (teabreak.pk)
- Five LEGO Games You’ll Never See [Lego] (kotaku.com)
- Greatest World Cup moments re-created (offthepost.info)
- This is Football Podcast Episode 2: World Cup Final + Choosing player of the Tournament (thisisfootball.co.za)
A game that brings many questions to mind, such as: Why are Spain still called “La Roja” when they play in blue? Why do Portugal have one of the ugliest shirts in international football? If Ronaldo ever becomes a Buddhist monk, will he have to change his first name? As far as the football is concerned, here are some statistics from the BBC site:
- They have met 32 times in international football. Portugal have won just five matches, Spain 15 and there have been 12 draws.
- But Portugal won their last meeting 1-0, which came at the Euro 2004 group stages and eliminated Sapin from the competition.
- And Spain have only beaten Portugal once in the ten matches since 1958.
- They must make history if they are to win the World Cup, as no country has lost its first group match and gone on to lift the trophy.
- David Villa has scored six goals in six starts at the World Cup and is now the all-time top scorer for Spain at the tournament.
- Spain became the first team since Hungary in 1986 not to collect a single card in the group stages of a World Cup tournament. In fact, they have not had a player cautioned in their last six matches since Sergio Ramos was booked against France on 3 March.
- Portugal have conceded just one goal in their last 12 internationals.
- Should they get through against Spain, they will set a new unbeaten record for Portugal of 20 games in all competitions.
Strange Random Portugal Quote:
Portugal is a high hill with a white watch tower on it flying signal flags. It is apparently inhabited by one man who lives in a long row of yellow houses with red roofs, and populated by sheep who do grand acts of balancing on the side of the hill – Richard H. Davis
Related articles by Zemanta
- 2010 FIFA World Cup: Cristiano Ronaldo, David Villa Highlight Portugal-S (bleacherreport.com)
- World Cup Preview Paraguay vs Japan and Spain vs Portugal June 29th 2010 (worldcup2010southafrica.co.cc)
- Watch Spain Vs Portugal Live Stream Online Coverage (oleole.com)
- Why Portugal will beat Spain (fourfourtwo.com)