WE’VE all been through years of schooling and hopefully had thousands of social situations to learn from by the time we’re thrown into adulthood.
But somehow, some people never learn social cues.
Like, it’s really not OK to talk loudly about a personal situation in a meeting at work. Or, it’s not nice to talk at people for hours at a party. Especially about your “quirky” hobbies.
Thankfully, etiquette expert and founder of the Good Manners Company Anna Musson, has some tips to help you out next time you’re stuck alongside a “talker” on a 13-hour flight.
Here are seven awkward situations, and how to get out of them.
1.You’re stuck talking to someone who has a deep interest in different breeds of snails at a party
If there is someone else around, it’s OK to include them in the conversation. Take a leaf out of Bridget Jones’ book, and think of an interesting anecdote that might link the two people, and introduce the extra person. You can then excuse yourself and leave.
If there is nobody around, say “It’s been lovely talking to you Mary. I’ve really enjoyed talking to you, but there are a lot of people here and I’ve been monopolising you. I hope our paths cross again. Wish you all the best.”
Don’t pretend your phone is ringing. That’s insincere. Plus never say you’re going to the bathroom. People don’t need to know that. Just say ”excuse me”.
Strange Random Lego Quote:
“World events may help the success of new patriotic products like Rescue Heroes from Fisher-Price. Yet retailers still see evergreen brands such as Mattel’s Barbie and traditional LEGO leading the way off store shelves in the next few months,” – Sean McGowan
- The First Trailer for Lego Batman 2 is Here! (godisageek.com)
- “LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes” Launch Trailer Debuts (comicbookresources.com)
- New ‘Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes’ Image Displays World’s Finest Brick Dudes (comicsalliance.com)
- Superman Might Be The Best Part of Lego Batman 2 [Video] (kotaku.com)
- LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes preview (digitaltrends.com)
- Brickbashing Batbuddies: LEGO Batman 2 (rockpapershotgun.com)
- Lego Batman Opening of the Day (geeks.thedailywh.at)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heros (vgamer101.wordpress.com)
But what on earth is she going on about before they start?
Strange Random Wine Quote:
[at his first sip of champagne] “Come quickly! I am tasting stars!” – Dom Perignon
- Wine Words Demystified: Wine Diamonds (enofylzwineblog.com)
- Creating Your Own Wine…in Brooklyn | Fox Business (exitbusiness.wordpress.com)
- Wine Words Demystified – Complex (enofylzwineblog.com)
- Wine Words Demystified – Legs (enofylzwineblog.com)
- Wine Words Demystified: Breathe (enofylzwineblog.com)
Thorpe Park Rollercoaster The Swarm Redesigned After Dummies Lose Limbs In Tests Of Theme Park Ride | Strange News | Sky News
Thorpe Park ordered experts to redesign its £20m new rollercoaster – after dummies lost limbs during tests.
A life-sized church housing The Swarm ride was remodelled following dry runs that saw legs smashed off at least two dummies.
The theme park issued a statement revealing other dummies were scratched during the tests, prompting “drastic measures” ahead of the ride’s launch on March 15.
Bosses said technicians spent a week resolving problems with the “winged” rollercoaster – which is designed to give riders the impression they are about [to] crash into the surrounding landscape.
Mike Vallis, divisional director at Thorpe Park, said he was now 100% satisfied the ride met safety standards.
“We have been planning for The Swarm for almost two years now, and we’ve pushed the boundaries to the absolute limit because ‘extreme’ is what our thrill-seeking customers demand,” he said.
Strange Random Amusement Park Quote:
“Looking at yourself through the media is like looking at one of those rippled mirrors in an amusement park.” – Edmund S. Muskie
- Urgent redesign of £20million Thorpe Park ride after dummies return from test run with limbs snapped off (dailymail.co.uk)
- New movie theme park coming to Dubai (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Cheetah Hunt ride lets you go wild in Tampa (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Merlin’s latest attraction takes on the mighty Mouse (telegraph.co.uk)
- French Theme Park ‘Napoleonland’ in the Works (newsfeed.time.com)
2011 in Lego: the year’s news – in pictures
From the royal wedding to the death of Osama bin Laden, the English summer riots and the fall of Gaddafi, here are some of major news stories of the past 12 months created in Lego by Flickr members.
If you want to add your Lego take on a news event this year, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Strange Random Lego Quote:
- Legoland park to open in Florida (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Legoland Florida: A Geeky Preview (wired.com)
- Lego Caruso Solves Grisly Lego Murder in CSI: Legoland (shoppingblog.com)
- CSI: Legoland of the Day (geeks.thedailywh.at)
- `Lego` bricks boost flood defences (autonetinsurance.co.uk)
- There’s a Lego Bugatti Veyron hidden at Legoland [Bugatti Veyron] (jalopnik.com)
- Legoland Opens At Last (patspapers.com)