DreamWorks, the studio behind the Shrek franchise and this summer’s Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted, will pay cash for the rights-holding company, owned by Boomerang Media Holdings, a portfolio company of private-equity firm GTCR.
Classic Media and Jay Ward Productions – a television cartoon producer founded by American animator Jay Ward – jointly manage the rights to Ward’s catalogue, which also includes Rocky & Bullwinkle and Mr Peabody & Sherman.
DreamWorks Animation‘s 3D feature film Mr Peabody & Sherman is scheduled for release in December 2013, Reuters reported.
New York City-based Classic Media, which has about 80 employees, owns 450 film titles and more than 6,100 episodes of animated and live-action programming, DreamWorks said.
“Classic Media brings a large and diverse collection of characters and branded assets that is extremely complementary to DreamWorks Animation’s franchise business,” DreamWorks’ chief executive Jeffrey Katzenberg said.
Strange Random Animation Quote:
“I am an animator. I feel like I’m the manager of a animation cinema factory. I am not an executive. I’m rather like a foreman, like the boss of a team of craftsmen. That is the spirit of how I work. – Hayao Miyazaki
- DreamWorks to buy Classic Media for $155 mln – WSJ (uk.reuters.com)
- DreamWorks Animation to Acquire HE-MAN, CASPER and VOLTRON (geektyrant.com)
- DreamWorks Animation Bids For Character Rights-Holder Classic Media: NYT (m.deadline.com)
- D’Works Animation eyes ‘Casper’ company (variety.com)
- DreamWorks Said to Bid for Owner of ‘Casper the Friendly Ghost’ (dealbook.nytimes.com)
- DreamWorks Animation Bids For Character Rights-Holder Classic Media: NYT (deadline.com)
- DreamWorks set to buy major library of cartoon, comic characters (robot6.comicbookresources.com)
- First Image from DreamWorks Animation’s MR. PEABODY AND SHERMAN (collider.com)