This week, we’ve added two new playlists of music videos with the key words PUT and LOOK. So you can find songs from the likes of Paul McCartney, The Coral, Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, The Ramones, The Libertines, Jet, Dido, ABC or Monty Python (yes, that song) for your education and entertainment!
Finally, please tell your friends about the channel and leave us a message to let us know what you think!
Strange Random Music Quote:
Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. – Frank Zappa
- Exit Languages on YouTube (new channel) (exitlanguages.wordpress.com)
- Embedded YouTube Video Search Bar Fix (webpagefx.com)
- YouTube Live – live streams all the time (exitlanguages.wordpress.com)
- Sorry Google, YouTube Captions Aren’t for the Deaf. They’re for Your Robots. (webpagefx.com)
- YouTube begins YouTube Block Box Office service (panasianbiz.com)
The Prize is an initiative of the European Commission organised by the Fundació Mies van der Rohe. The principal objectives are to recognise and commend excellence in the field of architecture and to draw attention to the important contribution of European professionals in the development of new concepts and technologies. The Prize also sets out to promote the profession by encouraging architects working throughout the entire European Union and by supporting young architects as they set off on their careers. [...] The Prize consists of 60.000 € and the Special Mention consists of 20.000 € with both receiving a sculpture that evokes the Mies van der Rohe Pavilion of Barcelona – the symbol for this Prize: excellence and innovation in conceptual and constructive terms.
The Neues Museum on Berlin’s Museum Island was designed by Friedrich August Stüler and built between 1841 and 1859. Extensive bombing during the Second World War left the building in ruins, with entire sections missing completely and others severely damaged. Few attempts at repair were made after the war, and the structure was left exposed to nature. In 1997, David Chipperfield Architects – with Julian Harrap – won the international competition for the rebuilding of the Neues Museum.
Strange Random Architecture Quote:
Architecture begins when you place two bricks carefully together. – Mies van der Rohe
- Berlin – from Isherwood to Sanssouci … (patricksistanbul.wordpress.com)
- Pastry Cheffage: Mies van der Rohe’s Birthday Feted With Barcelona Couch Cake (curbed.com)
- Mies van der Rohe Awards: Here are the six finalists for… (curbed.com)
- Toys ‘n’ Games: Mies van der Rohe’s Famed Farnsworth House Now in Lego Version (curbed.com)
- Happy (belated) birthday designer Mies van der Rohe (lostateminor.com)
- Architecture Documentaries You Must Watch: Today Design Crave offers a terrific… (curbed.com)
The Complaints Choir invites people to complain as much as they want and to sing their complaints out loud together with fellow complainers. The first choir was organised in Birmingham followed by the Complaints Choir of Helsinki and Hamburg. The lyrics were written by the Choir, Music by Jeremy Jacobson. Project by Tellervo Kalleinen and Oliver Kochta-Kalleinen. Produced by Smog Veil Records/Frank Mauceri.
Compare and contrast with the complaints of the Tokyo Choir …
Strange Random Complaining Quote:
- Why are so many of us so tired? Blame Martha Stewart (theglobeandmail.com)
- TED 2011: Virtual Choir Joins Voices from 58 Countries (wired.com)
- 2/25/11 ~ Comrades Welsh Choir and Dr. Haydn James (christyjefferson.wordpress.com)
- Creole choir of Cuba really hails from Haiti (repeatingislands.com)
- Medieval or modern fare? Choose from Seattle’s Tudor Choir and the Esoterics (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
On the right is our favourite, by Bob Collins. Any ideas what was happening?
See the full slideshow here – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12464386
Strange Random Photography Quote:
The photograph itself doesn’t interest me. I want only to capture a minute part of reality. – Henri Cartier Bresson
- Candid cameras capture street life in London over 150 years (independent.co.uk)
- Inc: Trend Hunter Cited on Retro Photography Works (trendhunter.com)
- London: Aerial Photography (edugeek.net)
- Gainsbourg: Paris is enjoying a Serge (telegraph.co.uk)
- Celebrating Street Photography, as Anti-Terror Backlash Fades (wired.com)
- Paris – Street Photography Now (kspace.tv)
- Turn your iPhone into a time machine (osocio.org)
- London (harrys-travel.com)
The tune is “Music for a Found Harmonium”, written and performed by the Penguin Café Orchestra, that eclectic and thoroughly British-eccentric group. Did we say that we like them? Well, there are many more examples available on YouTube!
Strange Random Art Quote:
Let me ask you something, what is not art? – Author Unknown
- Mientras Tanto En Mexico, (greg.org)
- The Sweet Spot (soundtime.wordpress.com)
- Penguin watching – Dunedin, New Zealand (travelpod.com)
- This week’s new live music (guardian.co.uk)
- Gabriel Orozco, Tate Modern, London (independent.co.uk)
- Gabriel Orozco: Permanent playtime (guardian.co.uk)
We’re back after a full (and filling) weekend, with a great slideshow from the BBC, showing highlights of 2010 from a Brit perspective, of course. Click on the image to go there now!
- Pope Delivers BBC Thought of the Day (catholicanalysis.blogspot.com)
- BBC Can’t Get Apples and Blackberries To Work (macstories.net)
- Tech Blog: Review of BBC News iPad App (smudailymustang.com)
- BBC may axe BBC3 and BBC4 in cost cutting exercise (dailymail.co.uk)
- Sky and ITV to have a say on BBC’s shows (guardian.co.uk)
In the race for the Christmas Gadget Award, take a look at the front-runner (Apple’s iPad) and, well, the others. Whether you’re a technical type or just thinking of buying for someone else, this humorous video is worth a watch!
Strange Random Tablet Quote:
Everything is being compressed into tiny tablets. You take a little pill of news every day – 23 minutes – and that’s supposed to be enough – Walter Cronkite
- Tech Blog: Review of BBC News iPad App (smudailymustang.com)
- Switch is a multi-user Web browser for iPad (downloadsquad.switched.com)
- Gordon Brown’s D.C. Book Bash (huffingtonpost.com)
- Coldplay to Release Concept Album Next Year (spinner.com)
- BBC news mobile on Windows Phone 7 (blogs.msdn.com)