You know we’re fans of TED.com and of video sites in general. Now some kind person called Jim Melfi has published a website listing TED and 56 other resources, from San Francisco to Slovenia, covering topics such as Design, Sustainability, Economics (the Davos video group is interesting, not to mention topical) and Technology. There’s also a separate section for Universities and Colleges of Higher Education that publish their content online.
You can visit Video Talks by clicking on the picture here or on the link in the Blogroll section on the right-hand side of this page!
About VideoTalks.org: The initial idea for this website was developed in 2009 after realizing that one had to search many sites to find the ones listed above. At the time, I had no idea that the Internet contained such a rich variety of viewpoints from men and women who are truly making a difference in our world community. This site is certainly dedicated to those of us who want quality substance beyond the fog of mindless chatter and short sound bites. I welcome your suggestions regarding other sites and speakers. Jim Melfi.
Strange Random Video Quote:
In seven to ten years video traffic on the Internet will exceed data and voice traffic combined – Bob Metcalfe
- Say Hello to My Avatar: Bob Metcalfe Gives First UT Innovation Lecture Using Avaya Web Interface (xconomy.com)
- Davos: Explosion Of Video Is Next Technological Innovation (blogs.forbes.com)
- Video Encyclopedia Qwiki Wants To Make Information Into An Experience (reelseo.com)
- Where to Watch the Davos World Economic Forum Online (gigaom.com)
- TED’s Chris Anderson Talks Crowd-Accelerated Innovation (wired.com)
Annie Leonard is the author and host of our very own The Story of Stuff. She is author of The Story of Stuff, the book, published by Free Press of Simon and Schuster on March 9, 2010. Annie has spent nearly two decades investigating and organizing on environmental health and justice issues. She has traveled to 40 countries, visiting literally hundreds of factories where our stuff is made and dumps where our stuff is dumped. Witnessing first hand the horrendous impacts of both over- and under- consumption around the world, Annie is fiercely dedicated to reclaiming and transforming our industrial and economic systems so they serve, rather than undermine, ecological sustainability and social equity.
via The Story of Stuff.
Now a series of films, The Story of … analyses the way in which many of the products we take for granted every day can actually be bad for us and bad for the planet. Annie Leonard looks at how everyone can make a difference in this production chain. It’s a cartoon, but it’s a very serious topic. By way of example, here’s The Story of Bottled Water. Visit the website – http://storyofstuff.org/ – for more information and films.
Strange Random Sustainability Quote:
“Anything else you’re interested in is not going to happen if you can’t breathe the air and drink the water. Don’t sit this one out. Do something.” – Carl Sagan
- ‘The Story of Stuff’ Founder Annie Leonard Launching Eco Kids Series (ecorazzi.com)
- Live chat with the Story of Stuff’s Annie Leonard (grist.org)
- Loop Scoops: Annie Leonard And PBS Team Up For New Kids Show (huffingtonpost.com)
- Annie Leonard’s Story of Electronics is an E-Waste Eye Opener (inhabitat.com)
- Green: A Sequel to ‘The Story of Stuff’ (green.blogs.nytimes.com)
If you’re looking for a particular colour picture to go with your document, blog post or website, this can be a frustrating and often long process (trust me, I know). Over at idée Labs, they’ve created a tool called Multicolr, which analyses photos from Flickr and serves them up according to the colour you choose from the palette on the right. Not only that, but you can choose up to 10 colours to include in the search, repeating certain ones to give them more prominence.
We didn’t go that far, but we did start with a navy blue (left) and then, perhaps in a sudden rush of patriotism, added a white and a red – et volià!
Whether you’re looking for something very specific or just a bit of colourful inspiration, give Multicolr a try!
Strange Random Colour Quote:
Man needs colour to live; it’s just as necessary an element as fire and water – Fernand Leger
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Inspired with Flickr (blueglass.com)
- 7 Image Search Tools That Will Change Your Life | Brain Pickings (brainpickings.org)
- The Sociability of Colour (semionaut.net)
- FlickrExport for iPhoto and Aperture updated to version 4 (tuaw.com)
- Your Best Shot 2010 (flickr.net)
We think it’s very cool but take a look at the video and decide for yourself:
Strange Random Search Quote:
A safe but sometimes chilly way of recalling the past is to force open a crammed drawer. If you are searching for anything in particular you don’t find it, but something falls out at the back that is often more interesting. – J. M. Barrie
Related articles by Zemanta
- Download Cloudmagic for Instant Gmail Search (quickonlinetips.com)
- CloudMagic Brings Fast Search-As-You-Type Functionality To Gmail, Google Apps (techcrunch.com)
- Google News: Instant Adds Keyboard Navigation; Bing VP Disses Instant; Flintstones Doodle & More (searchenginewatch.com)
- Why I Hate Gmail’s Conversation View (pcworld.com)
- GOutlook. Gmail Back to Earth… in Search of Revenue. (cloudave.com)
- 10 Dead Simple Gmail Tips, Tricks & Shortcuts (mashable.com)
We’ve mentioned the free online games site friv.com before and one of the best games they have at the moment is the thoroughly addictive Electric Box, where you try to create the necessary power and connections to drive a target object. It sounds easy and for a while, and it is. And for someone who failed (by a small margin) elementary Physics, it’s not only a challenging and enjoyable puzzle, but also a very educational one.
Electric Box 2 has updated graphics and levels and is available to play for free online at Candystand.com. (They also have other great free games, too!).
Strange Random Game Quote:
Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
Related articles by Zemanta
- The Best Free Online Puzzle Games (hubpages.com)
- The 19 Challenging Free Online Puzzle Games (makeuseof.com)
- Friv Games – Leaderboard Of Awesome Free Flash Games (vikitech.com)
- Try New Online Flash Games Like Boom Box (stevehartkopf.com)
- Michael Jackson, The Online Game [Oddities] (kotaku.com)