The glitzy world of fashion and design doesn’t typically conjure up images of sustainability and social consciousness, but if its up to Eva Kruse, CEO of the Danish Fashion Institute and Chairman of the Nordic Fashion Association, that’s all going to change.
In the last month, she has pulled off the largest sustainable fashion summit in the world, and starting this week, she is launching a global social media campaign, aiming to forever change the way we look at our clothes.
Her goal is for all companies in the industry to declare sustainability a key value.
“I have worked in the fashion industry for nearly 20 years, and it is a wonderful and exciting industry, but it is also one of the largest and most polluting in the world,” said Kruse.
From the massive consumption of water and fertilizer in cotton production, to the chemical processing at plants, the pollution of local waterways and environments, safety issues for workers, fair wages, child labor and other social concerns — issues for the fashion industry are enormous, she says.
“That is why it is so important that we address this … and because of the size of the industry, even a small change can make a big difference,” says Kruse.
Kruse, who founded the Danish Fashion Institute as the only employee in 2005, is credited by industry professionals and government ministers for having put Danish design and sustainable fashion on the world map.
Last month, she gathered more than 1,000 people — including Hollywood celebrities, international designers and other industry professionals — at the Copenhagen Fashion Summit, to explore sustainable solutions.
Strange Random Ecology Quote:
“The first law of ecology is that everything is related to everything else.” – Barry Commoner (American Biologist, Teacher and Activist, b.1917)
- Copenhagen Fashion Summit 2012: The new sustainable fashion (europaregina.eu)
- Royal Highness Crown Princess Mary of Denmark urges ‘green’ fashion (europaregina.eu)
- Win an Eco-Friendly Swimsuit From Eco Swim (Worth $124!) (inhabitat.com)
- Sustainable Fashion Lab 2012! (sustainable-fashion.com)
- Fashioning Change Makes Shopping Sustainably a Whole Lot Easier (ecosalon.com)
- EcoSalon Takes a Seat at the Copenhagen Fashion Summit (ecosalon.com)
- Promote and Support Eco-Friendly Sustainable Fashion (forcechange.com)
- Sustainable Fashion: An Industry R-Evolution (sustainable-fashion.com)