Scots get a really Horrible History of the English – News – Theatre & Dance – The Independent
The Sassenachs will meet a bloody end when Horrible Histories, the all-conquering children’s show secretly loved by adults, is given a tartan makeover for the Edinburgh Fringe.
Based on Terry Deary‘s books, the award-winning CBBC series and hit stage show have delighted young audiences by spoofing the goriest and most gloriously silly events from the past. The League of Gentlemen comedy troupe reunited to star in the latest CBBC series, in which Henry VIII appears on a television show hoping to raise money from his antique abbeys and a German submarine captain has the worst ever toilet accident.
This summer, the production is set to graduate to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, where it will run daily at the Pleasance theatre. But after Deary’s book Bloody Scotland was accused of a “UK-centric, anti-Scottish viewpoint of Scottish history” by the Scottish Separatist Group, the show will reflect national sensibilities.
“It will have a Scottish lilt and the English don’t come out of it at all well,” said Neal Foster, Barmy Britain’s writer and director. “As long as they beat the English, the Scots should be happy.”
Strange Random English Quote:
“In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman, and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true, that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during “God Save the King” than stealing from a poor box”. – George Orwell
- Huzzah for Horrible Histories! (imasinglelondongirl.wordpress.com)
- I Love Terry Deary’s HORRIBLE HISTORIES And You Should Too (themalaysianreader.com)
- Book Review Horrible Histories Vicious Vikings by Terry Deary (socyberty.com)
- Lettice and Lovage, Watermill, Newbury, and Horrible Histories, Garrick, review (telegraph.co.uk)
- TV historian compares Alex Salmond to Adolf Hitler (scotsman.com)
- Shame on you, Alex Salmond, for selling us out to the Bullingdon Club | Stewart Lee (guardian.co.uk)
- Historian David Starkey denounced over ‘Hitler’ jibe at Alex Salmond (scotsman.com)