Warhol could fetch $85 million at auction | WORLD News
The life-size painting, Double Elvis (Ferus Type) from 1963, epitomises Warhol’s obsessions with fame, stardom and the public image, according to Sotheby’s.
“The silver background of Double Elvis (Ferus Type), along with the subtle variations in tone give the serial imagery a sense of rhythmic variation that recalls the artist’s masterpiece, 200 One Dollar Bills completed the previous year,” Sotheby’s said in a statement.
That work soared to nearly $53 million or four times its estimate in 2009, when the art market was reeling from the financial crisis that struck in 2008. It was the highlight of the season, and achieved the highest price of any work at the fall auctions.
In the Double Elvis work, Presley is dressed as a cowboy, shooting a gun. Sotheby’s described him in the work “a Hollywood icon of the sixties rather than the rebellious singer who shook the world of music in the sixties.”
The double in the title refers to a shadowy image of Presley in the same pose that appears next to him in the work.
Strange Random Andy Warhol Quote:
I read an article on me once that described my machine-method of silk-screen copying and painting:
‘What a bold and audacious solution, what depths of the man are revealed in this solution!’
What does that mean?
- Andy Warhol’s ‘Double Elvis’ Could Sell for $50 Million at Auction (newsfeed.time.com)
- Warhol’s Double Elvis (1963) Expected to Fetch $50 Million (sadmanstongue.com)
- Warhol’s Double Elvis to fetch double price at auction? (rt.com)
- Playboy Gunter Sachs’ art collection goes on sale revealing full scale of his obsession with former wife Brigitte Bardot (dailymail.co.uk)
- Warhol painting of Taylor fetches $662K in NY (pbpulse.com)
- NARS & Andy Warhol (oneprettyplace.wordpress.com)
- Teddy Forstmann’s art goes on sale in May at Sotheby’s (usatoday.com)
- Munch’s “The Scream” expected to fetch $80 million at auction [Art] (io9.com)
- Andy Warhol painting of Elizabeth Taylor sells for more than $600,000 (telegraph.co.uk)