By msnbc.com staff and wire
After years of enduring sexist jokes and taunts from their male counterparts, women drivers can finally take heart — a new study suggests they’re actually better at parking than men.
Covert surveillance of car parks across the United Kingdom shows that, while women may take longer to park, they are more adept than men at maneuvering into a parking space, and when they park they are more likely to leave their vehicles in the middle of a parking bay.
Strange Random Parking Quote:
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said ‘Parking Fine’. – Tommy Cooper
- Women are better at parking than men (bottomline.msnbc.msn.com)
- Stereotype-Challenging Study of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- Women better than men at parking, study says (ctv.ca)
- Women are better at parking than men, study suggests (telegraph.co.uk)
- One More Gender Stereotype Smashed to Bits (feministphilosophers.wordpress.com)
- Sorry, chaps, women are better parkers (independent.co.uk)
- What Stereotype? Women Are Better Than Men at Parking, Study Finds (newsfeed.time.com)
- Women are better at parking, report finds (vancouversun.com)
- Women better at parking, survey says (money.marksandspencer.com)
Thorpe Park Rollercoaster The Swarm Redesigned After Dummies Lose Limbs In Tests Of Theme Park Ride | Strange News | Sky News
Thorpe Park ordered experts to redesign its £20m new rollercoaster – after dummies lost limbs during tests.
A life-sized church housing The Swarm ride was remodelled following dry runs that saw legs smashed off at least two dummies.
The theme park issued a statement revealing other dummies were scratched during the tests, prompting “drastic measures” ahead of the ride’s launch on March 15.
Bosses said technicians spent a week resolving problems with the “winged” rollercoaster – which is designed to give riders the impression they are about [to] crash into the surrounding landscape.
Mike Vallis, divisional director at Thorpe Park, said he was now 100% satisfied the ride met safety standards.
“We have been planning for The Swarm for almost two years now, and we’ve pushed the boundaries to the absolute limit because ‘extreme’ is what our thrill-seeking customers demand,” he said.
Strange Random Amusement Park Quote:
“Looking at yourself through the media is like looking at one of those rippled mirrors in an amusement park.” – Edmund S. Muskie
- Urgent redesign of £20million Thorpe Park ride after dummies return from test run with limbs snapped off (dailymail.co.uk)
- New movie theme park coming to Dubai (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Cheetah Hunt ride lets you go wild in Tampa (travelnews.britishairways.com)
- Merlin’s latest attraction takes on the mighty Mouse (telegraph.co.uk)
- French Theme Park ‘Napoleonland’ in the Works (newsfeed.time.com)
The billionaire investor rings in the Chinese New Year with a song.
Strange Random New Year Quote:
- Chinese New Year: Warren Buffett Serenades the Masses (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Warren Buffett Stars on Chinese TV (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- China’s Lunar New Year Extravaganza To Include a Surprising Star: Warren Buffett (globalspin.blogs.time.com)
- Warren Buffett to sing on Chinese web gala (vancouversun.com)
- Warren Buffett, Surprise Star of China’s Lunar New Year Extravaganza (globalspin.blogs.time.com)
- Warren Buffett Will Now Be Taking His Hidden Talent To China (businessinsider.com)
- Happy Chinese New Year: Ten Blessings & Ten Things To Know… (eof737.wordpress.com)
- Warren Buffett, crooner (variety.com)
- Could Warren Buffet Be “working on a (Chinese) railroad” Investment? (applewoody.wordpress.com)
The discoveries boost the list of confirmed extra-solar planets to 729, including 60 credited to the Kepler team. The telescope, launched in space in March 2009, can detect slight but regular dips in the amount of light coming from stars. Scientists can then determine if the changes are caused by orbiting planets passing by, relative to Kepler’s view.
Kepler scientists have another 2,300 candidate planets awaiting additional confirmation.
None of the newly discovered planetary systems are like our solar system, though Kepler-33, a star that is older and bigger than the Sun, comes close in terms of sheer numbers. It has five planets, compared to our solar system’s eight, but the quintet all fly closer to their parent star than Mercury orbits the Sun.
The planets range in size from about 1.5 times the diameter of Earth to five times Earth’s diameter. Scientists have not yet determined if any are solid rocky bodies like Earth, Venus, Mars and Mercury or if they are filled with gas like Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
Strange Random Planet Quuote:
“The Sun, with all the planets revolving around it, and depending on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as though it had nothing else in the Universe to do.” – Galileo Galilei
- NASA’s Kepler telescope finds 26 new planets (taholtorf.wordpress.com)
- NASA Kepler Telescope Finds 26 New Alien Planets in 11 Solar Systems (mashable.com)
- Kepler telescope finds 11 new planetary systems, one has five planets (slashgear.com)
- Nasa’s Keplar telescope discovers 11 new planetary systems (telegraph.co.uk)
- NASA finds 11 new solar systems (revolutionizingawareness.com)
- Kepler hits jackpot, discovers 26 new planets and 11 new star systems (inquisitr.com)
- NASA mission piles on the planets (cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com)
- NASA Finds 11 New Planetary Systems (myfoxny.com)
- NASA’s Kepler mission finds 26 new planets (cbc.ca)
- NASA Finds 11 New Planetary Systems (myfoxphoenix.com)
Russian police don’t take kindly to opposition protesters – even if they’re 5cm high and made of plastic.
Police in the Siberian city of Barnaul have asked prosecutors to investigate the legality of a recent protest that saw dozens of small dolls – teddy bears, Lego men, South Park figurines – arranged to mimic a protest, complete with signs reading: “I’m for clean elections” and “A thief should sit in jail, not in the Kremlin“.
“Political opposition forces are using new technologies to carry out public events – using toys with placards at mini-protests,” Andrei Mulintsev, the city’s deputy police chief, said at a press conference this week, according to local media. “In our opinion, this is still an unsanctioned public event.”
Activists set up the display after authorities repeatedly rejected their request to hold a sanctioned demonstration of the kind held in Moscow to protest disputed parliamentary elections results and Vladimir Putin‘s expected return to the presidency in a March vote.
Passersby admired the display with giggles, but police took it more seriously, examining its details and writing down each placard.
“The authorities’ attempt to limit citizens’ rights to express their position has become absurd,” said Lyudmila Alexandrova, a 26-year-old graduate student and protest organiser. “We wanted to hyperbolise this attempt and show the absurdity and farce of officials’ struggle with their own people.”
They are not the first. Russia‘s Blue Buckets group, formed to protest officials’ wanton flouting of traffic rules, have run across government cars while wearing buckets on their heads, drawing the state’s ire.
Strange Random Doll Quote:
“You know you’ve made it when you’ve been moulded in miniature plastic. But you know what children do with Barbie dolls – it’s a bit scary, actually.” – Cate Blanchett (Australian Actress. b.1969 Melbourne, Victoria, Australia)
- Pussy Riot against Vladimir Putin (osocio.org)
- Toying with the right to protest: police try to ban Russian doll rally (independent.co.uk)
- Russia | Pussy Riot Rock Group Arrested Protesting Putin & Sex Tourism (oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com)
- Moscow police arrest 2 at protest (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Moscow rally halted amid arrests (bbc.co.uk)
- Police arrest anti-Putin protesters in Moscow – Times of India (timesofindia.indiatimes.com)
- You: The Law Of Putin’s Jungle (thedailybeast.com)