‘Mystery City’ Revealed By ISS Time-Lapse Video Turns Out To Be Enormous Oil Field
Internet forums exploded after an astonishing time-lapse video of the Earth taken from the International Space Station revealed more that was first thought – a mystery city that ‘shouldn’t have existed’.
The dramatic video displays the Earth illuminated by the green glow of the Aurora Borealis, and cities represented as bright spots of electric lights.
Taken by the crew of the ISS between August and October 2011, the clip was an immediate online hit.
The “City” in question comes into view at about the 34-second mark.
Strange Random Space Quote:
Sirius, the brightest star in the heavens…. My grandfather would say we’re part of something incredibly wonderful – more marvelous than we imagine. My grandfather would say we ought to go out and look at it once in a while so we don’t lose our place in it — Robert Fulghum
- Beautiful time-lapse of the Earth from ISS (holykaw.alltop.com)
- ISS time-lapse makes Earth look incredible (geek.com)
- Time-lapse video from ISS (boingboing.net)
- VIDEO: Russia Soyuz docks with ISS (bbc.co.uk)
- JAW DROPPING Space Station time lapse! (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- Here’s Some Wow-Inducing Time Lapse Video of Earth at Night (nerdist.com)
- Amazing Time Lapses Of Earth From The ISS (geekologie.com)
- Great video: Earth flyover from the ISS (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- This is rocket science! (learningfromdogs.com)